I've run the uninspiring Long Island Half a couple of times. Runner's World called the LI Marathon & Half a "Golden Oldie" that has aged well. I now have to question everything I read in that magazine.
The things that excite me about the Brooklyn Half:
1. It's in Brooklyn. 2. I get to run past the Brooklyn Museum, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden and Grand Army Plaza. 3. I'll finally get to run in Prospect Park. 4. Five miles of the race is a straightaway down Ocean Parkway through the heart of Brooklyn. 5. It finishes on the Coney Island boardwalk. READ MORE...
I am a recreational runner who enjoys all aspects of the sport, especially trail running. I work in the media industry where I focus on publishing technologies and emerging media strategies. I have a great wife and two great kids who are supportive and active.
I skipped Tuesday's speed workout due to a timing conflict but I put it back on the schedule for today. According to my training plan, this was supposed to be a tempo run that peaks at 10K pace. I've gotten out of sync on my speed work and thought I'd do intervals instead. Although this morning's weather was very nice, I was running behind schedule and elected to save time by staying indoors.
It wasn't until I got on the treadmill that I decided which workout to follow. Thinking at first that I'd run intervals, I began with a warm up at half marathon race pace. I wanted to go into the repeats with a harder than usual effort to prime myself for speed. Once I got going, I considered the tempo idea. I then thought about SIOR's suggestion that I introduce some sustained speed into one of my weekday workouts for a couple of miles. I decided to continue with this half marathon pace for the duration of the run.
Except for intervals, I have not done many runs lately at sub-10 paces. This is because I've focused on endurance and distance rather than speed. I was surprised to find myself comfortably running at a mid-9:00 pace this morning. I wondered if I could keep this pace the entire way through and it turned out that I could. All this distance and hill running are clearly helping my stamina.
It's scary to think that I only have four more training weeks before my taper week. The longest run I've done so far this year is eight miles, but I did fairly well with that. I'm hoping that I'll continue to progress as I move into double digits. My average HR finally exceeded 85% of max today. If I can push a little harder and sustain it, I should start seeing my speed improve as well.
- LIRRC Hangover 5 Mile Fun Run - 48:28 - Long Beach Snowflake 4 Mile Run - 35:00
- Marcie Mazzola 5K - 28:09
- Dirty Sock 10K - 1:02:57
- Great Cow Harbor 10K - 1:01:17
- Town of Oyster Bay 5K - 28:39
- Hope for the Warriors 10K - 58:56
- Long Beach Turkey Trot 10K - 1:00:53
- Seaford Hot Chocolate 5K - 27:37
- LIRRC Hangover 5 mile Fun Run - 47:19 - Long Beach Snowflake Run 4 Mile - 33:50 (PR) - Marcie Mazzola 5K - 26:48 - LI Half Marathon - 2:08:47 (PR) - New Hyde Park 8K - 45:30 - Corporate 5K - 26:24 - Great Cow Harbor 10K - 58:32 - Town of Oyster Bay 5K - 25:58
- Long Beach Snowflake 4 Mile Run - 35:22 - Marcie Mazzola 5K - 27:33 - LI Half Marathon (13.1 M) - 2:22:08 - New Hyde Park 8K - 43:05(PR) - Dirty Sock 10K - 58:26 - Great Cow Harbor 10K - 57:12 - Town of Oyster Bay 5K - 26:52 - Run for the Warriors 10K - 55:52 - Long Beach Turkey Trot 10K - 54:34 (PR) - Bethpage Ho Ho Ho 5K - 26:06
Recent Emerging Runner Posts
About this Website
I returned to running in summer '08 and I'm discovering a lot about the sport:Conditioning, equipment, nutrition and running technologies.I've created this site to share what I learn and also to keep track of my progress.I hope that it's a useful resource for runners at all levels.
Please feel free to comment at the bottom of posts.
Questions or inquiries: editor(at)emergingrunner.com
- XTERRA Trail Run 6K - 34:32 - Marcie Mazzola 5K - 26:55 - New Hyde Park 8K - 44:42 - Dirty Sock 10K - 59:40 - Great Cow Harbor 10K - 1:00:56 - Hope for the Warriors 10K - 56:23 - Long Beach Turkey Trot 10K - 55:10 - Nissequogue River Turkey Trot 5K - 47:20 (ran with family)
- Marcie Mazzola Foundation 4 mile run - 35:15
- LI Marathon 5K - 26:34
- New Hyde Park 8K Run - 44:42
- Babylon Dirty Sock 10K - 59:22
- Cape Cod Marathon Relay - 4:03:00 (team)
- Bridie Goldstein 5K - 25:50 (PR)
Please feel free to comment at the bottom of posts. Questions, comments or inquiries: editor(at)emergingrunner.com