We chatted with other runners as we made our way south and came under the LIE overpass at Washington Ave. We crossed the road and found ourselves on a wooded trail that roughly parallels the bike trail.
The snow had covered the sidewalk that led to the paved path, so it was confusing where to go. A little diversion into the woods was unexpected and appreciated at different levels by the three of us. The ice and roots on the path made the going treacherous.
I am a recreational runner who enjoys all aspects of the sport, especially trail running. I work in the media industry where I focus on publishing technologies and emerging media strategies. I have a great wife and two great kids who are supportive and active.
I skipped Tuesday's speed workout due to a timing conflict but I put it back on the schedule for today. According to my training plan, this was supposed to be a tempo run that peaks at 10K pace. I've gotten out of sync on my speed work and thought I'd do intervals instead. Although this morning's weather was very nice, I was running behind schedule and elected to save time by staying indoors.
It wasn't until I got on the treadmill that I decided which workout to follow. Thinking at first that I'd run intervals, I began with a warm up at half marathon race pace. I wanted to go into the repeats with a harder than usual effort to prime myself for speed. Once I got going, I considered the tempo idea. I then thought about SIOR's suggestion that I introduce some sustained speed into one of my weekday workouts for a couple of miles. I decided to continue with this half marathon pace for the duration of the run.
Except for intervals, I have not done many runs lately at sub-10 paces. This is because I've focused on endurance and distance rather than speed. I was surprised to find myself comfortably running at a mid-9:00 pace this morning. I wondered if I could keep this pace the entire way through and it turned out that I could. All this distance and hill running are clearly helping my stamina.
It's scary to think that I only have four more training weeks before my taper week. The longest run I've done so far this year is eight miles, but I did fairly well with that. I'm hoping that I'll continue to progress as I move into double digits. My average HR finally exceeded 85% of max today. If I can push a little harder and sustain it, I should start seeing my speed improve as well.
- LIRRC Hangover 5 Mile Fun Run - 48:28 - Long Beach Snowflake 4 Mile Run - 35:00
- Marcie Mazzola 5K - 28:09
- Dirty Sock 10K - 1:02:57
- Great Cow Harbor 10K - 1:01:17
- Town of Oyster Bay 5K - 28:39
- Hope for the Warriors 10K - 58:56
- Long Beach Turkey Trot 10K - 1:00:53
- Seaford Hot Chocolate 5K - 27:37
- LIRRC Hangover 5 mile Fun Run - 47:19 - Long Beach Snowflake Run 4 Mile - 33:50 (PR) - Marcie Mazzola 5K - 26:48 - LI Half Marathon - 2:08:47 (PR) - New Hyde Park 8K - 45:30 - Corporate 5K - 26:24 - Great Cow Harbor 10K - 58:32 - Town of Oyster Bay 5K - 25:58
- Long Beach Snowflake 4 Mile Run - 35:22 - Marcie Mazzola 5K - 27:33 - LI Half Marathon (13.1 M) - 2:22:08 - New Hyde Park 8K - 43:05(PR) - Dirty Sock 10K - 58:26 - Great Cow Harbor 10K - 57:12 - Town of Oyster Bay 5K - 26:52 - Run for the Warriors 10K - 55:52 - Long Beach Turkey Trot 10K - 54:34 (PR) - Bethpage Ho Ho Ho 5K - 26:06
Recent Emerging Runner Posts
About this Website
I returned to running in summer '08 and I'm discovering a lot about the sport:Conditioning, equipment, nutrition and running technologies.I've created this site to share what I learn and also to keep track of my progress.I hope that it's a useful resource for runners at all levels.
Please feel free to comment at the bottom of posts.
Questions or inquiries: editor(at)emergingrunner.com
- XTERRA Trail Run 6K - 34:32 - Marcie Mazzola 5K - 26:55 - New Hyde Park 8K - 44:42 - Dirty Sock 10K - 59:40 - Great Cow Harbor 10K - 1:00:56 - Hope for the Warriors 10K - 56:23 - Long Beach Turkey Trot 10K - 55:10 - Nissequogue River Turkey Trot 5K - 47:20 (ran with family)
- Marcie Mazzola Foundation 4 mile run - 35:15
- LI Marathon 5K - 26:34
- New Hyde Park 8K Run - 44:42
- Babylon Dirty Sock 10K - 59:22
- Cape Cod Marathon Relay - 4:03:00 (team)
- Bridie Goldstein 5K - 25:50 (PR)
Please feel free to comment at the bottom of posts. Questions, comments or inquiries: editor(at)emergingrunner.com